Monday, September 5, 2011

Misconceptions: The Life of a Missionary


Before I left for Berlin six months ago, a family member boldly asked me, "You're going to Berlin on a missions tripWhat do they need in Berlin?"

At the time, I remember being so flustered I didn't even have a good response. I just kind of fumbled about something, maybe the Gospel, maybe Jesus. Who knows? It was basically less than stellar. (Of course, as usual, the perfect response came to me a couple of hours later.)

But I knew I had no place to judge, for I once had similar thoughts. I once equated the word missionary with jungles and tribes, poverty and unmet needs, unknown languages and small huts, yucky bugs and river baths, gross food and middle-of-nowhere people groups.

This had caused me to make up my mind early on in my life that I would never serve as a missionary, because that certainly did not sound appealing to me in the least. 

My family member had the same misconception as I once had, missionaries were to minister to the poor, helping those "less fortunate", taking Bibles to those who hadn't yet heard the Good News.

But who is less fortunate than those who believe they have everything, but instead have nothing? 

As the Lord is known to do, he started to change my heart towards life as a missionary. Through a series of events within the past year, God started to break my heart for the peoples of the world. I remember times of just falling to my knees in prayer, unable to stand, crying and weeping for the injustices and pains across the world.

Western Europe is my mission field. It may not be the plains of Africa or the jungles of South America, but it is a place of significant loss, brokenness, and hardness of heart. May God use my life to bring the light of Jesus to the darkness of Amsterdam.


May your ways be known throughout the earth
Your saving power among people everywhere
May the nations praise you, O God
Yes may all  the nations praise you
Le the whole world sing for Joy
Psalm 67:2-4

2 comments:

Melissa G said...

Paige - I LOVE your new blog look! And I agree with you - that the places that are the darkest need to see the "light" of Jesus. Sometimes those places are in first world countries, simply because they have so many worldly goods and benefits. Were you in Berlin w/ Campus Crusade? One of my friends just got back from 2 years there. Blessings and prayers as you continues to prepare for your trip.

Paige said...

Yes, I was in Berlin with CRU, so there's a pretty good chance I met your friend!