For they considered not the
miracle of the loaves: for their heart was hardened.
Mark 6:52 (KJV)
Is my heart hardened? Do I understand? Am I missing it?
God has done many miraculous and awe-inspiring things right before my eyes,
but do I take them to heart? Do I sit and revel in the marvelous of what God
has done? Because if not, I miss it. I
miss the miracle of the loaves. And ultimately, I miss God.
Just to give you some frame of reference, we’re in Mark chapter 6 where
Jesus has just fed five thousand men
with only five loaves of bread. It’s a
story that if you’ve grown up in church, you’ve probably heard it 100 times… at
least. But don’t miss the significance, because that’s exactly what the
disciples did.
Jesus walks on water and calms a
storm less than 24 hours after the whole feeding five thousand people incident,
and the disciples are STILL completely astonished by what Jesus can do. Almost
every translation describes the disciples in this way, “for their hearts were
hardened.” It’s as if they still did not
believe Jesus was who he said he was, regardless of the miracles they had witnessed.
I personally like the way the NASB puts it, “Then He got into the boat with
them and the wind stopped; and they were utterly astonished, for they had not
gained any insight from the incident of the loaves, but their heart was
hardened.”
Hardened- from the Greek word “poroo” – to petrify; to render stupid or
callous
Insensitive, deaden, stiffen
They. had not. gained. any. insight.
Their hearts were hardened and their mind was closed.
I don’t want to be “utterly astonished” that God can do something. I want
to revel in the belief that from what I’ve seen Him do, there is still more to
discover. I want to sit on the miracles that he HAS done and believe for more. I
don’t want to be like the disciples by lacking insight and understanding of
God’s power. I don’t want my heart to be hardened. To be blind. To be
insensitive. To miss HIM.
“Aware of their discussion, Jesus asked them: ‘Why are you talking about
having no bread? Do you still not see or understand? Are your hearts hardened?
Do you have eyes but fail to see, and ears but fail to hear? Don’t you
remember? When I broke the five loaves for five thousand... Do you still not
understand?’”
Mark 8:17-21
For He is capable of ALL things, whether we choose to take it to heart or
not.
All my love,
Paige
No comments:
Post a Comment